Probiotic microbes, C. elegans model system
Dr. Prithika is a Research Scientist at Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Centre of Excellence in Innovation and Entrepreneurship. She did her masters in Biomedical Genetics at Vellore Institute of Technology and subsequently She completed her doctoral studies in Biotechnology at Alagappa University. During her doctoral studies she served as a Junior Research Fellow under DST SERB funded project. She has qualified SLET exam in year 2013. At present, she is mentoring DST funded NewGen IEDC projects.
Publication : 13; Citations: 65, h-index: 6.
ORCID Id: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2849-5733
Ø Genomics and Proteomics
Ø Host-Pathogen Interactions
Ø Antimicrobial resistance and its mechanism
Students projects handled: 5
- Prithika U., Vikneswari R and Balamurugan K., 2017. External induction of heat shock stimulates the immune response and longevity of Caenorhabditis elegans towards pathogen exposure. Innate immunity [Sage publications], 22, 466-478. Epub 2016/06/19.
- Prithika U., Deepa V and Balamurugan K., 2016. Short term memory of Caenorhabditis elegans against bacterial pathogens involves CREB transcription factor Immunobiology [Elsevier], 222, 684-692.
- Marudhupandiyan S., Prithika U., Balasubramaniam B., and Balamurugan K., 2017. RACK-1, a multifaceted regulator is required for C. elegans innate immunity against S. flexneri M9OT infection. Developmental & Comparative Immunology [Elsevier], 74, 227-236.
- Viszwapriya D., Subramenium GA., Prithika U., Balamurugan K., and Pandian SK., 2016. Betulin inhibits virulence and biofilm of Streptococcus pyogenes by suppressing ropB core regulon, sagA and dltA. Pathogens and Disease [Fems, Wiley], 74, ftw088.
- Viszwapriya D., Prithika U., Deebika S., Balamurugan K and Pandian SK., 2016. In vitro and in vivo antibiofilm potential of 2, 4-Di-tert-butylphenol from seaweed surface associated bacterium Bacillus subtilis against Group A Streptococcus. Microbiological Research [Elsevier], 191, 19-31.
- Mercy GJ., Durai, S., Prithika U., Marudhupandiyan S., Dasauni P., Kundu S., and Balamurugan K. 2016. Role of DAF-21protein in Caenorhabditis elegans immunity against Proteus mirabilis infection. Journal of Proteomics [Elsevier], 45, 81-90. Epub 2016/04/14.
- JebaMercy G., Prithika U., Lavanya N., Sekar C., and Balamurugan K. 2015. Changes in Caenorhabditis elegans immunity and Staphylococcal virulence factors during their interactions. Gene [Elsevier], 558, 159-172.
- Betsy SD., Prithika U., Malaiyan J., Balamurugan K and Padma K., 2016. Prevalence of virulence determinants among HA-MRSA and CA-MRSA isolates and pathogenicity testing using Caenorhabdidtis elegans model. International Journal of Infectious Diseases [Elsevier]. 45, 76-77.
- Prithika U, JebaMercy G and Balamurugan K., 2014. Transcriptional and translational analysis of subsequent infection with Staphylococcus aureus and Proteus mirabilis in Caenorhabditis elegans. BMC Infectious Diseases [BioMed Central], 14 (suppl 3):P8.
Book chapters published
- Boopathi Balasubramaniam., Prithika U and Krishnaswamy Balamurugan., 2019.
Prevalence of bacterial infections in respiratory tract Pocket guide to bacterial infections: Pocket guide to biomedical sciences: Publisher: CRC press, Taylor and Francis group ISBN: 9781138054899
- Prithika U and Balamurugan K., 2017. Heat Shock Proteins: Innate immune stimulators of C. elegans. Chapter in a Microbiology Book Series number#6 entitled "Antimicrobial Research: Novel bioknowledge and educational programs" [Editor: A. Méndez-Vilas, Publisher: Formatex Research Center, Spain]. ISBN: 978-84-942134-7-2.
- Prithika U and Balamurugan K., 2017. Streptococcus and streptococcal toxins [Chapter in a bacterial infection Series, Handbook of Foodborne Diseases" [Editor: Dongyou Liu, Publisher: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, USA]. Chapter 21 ISBN: 978-1138036307 .
- Balamurugan K., Sivamatuthi B., Durai S., Keika P., Vigneshkumar B., JebaMercy G., Kamaladevi A., Prasanth M Iyer., Marudhupandian S., Prithika U., Vigneshwari L and Karutha Pandian S 2014., Understanding innate immune defenses against pathogens using model organism Caenorhabditis elegans. Chapter in a Microbiology Book series titled “Microbial pathogens and strategies for combating them: Science, technology and education” Vol. 3 [Editor: A. Méndez-Vilas, Publisher: Formatex Research Center, Spain] ISBN: 978-84-942134-1-0.
1. Balamurugan K and Prithika U., 2019. Pocket guide to bacterial infections: Pocket guide to biomedical sciences: Publisher: CRC press, Taylor and Francis group ISBN: 9781138054899